Dog Safety and Food to avoid ~Even though we're "not supposed to" give our dogs table scraps, we do it anyway. I love my dogs and I enjoy treating them like family. We all know that chocolate is dangerous but what else should you avoid sharing with your pets?
Some Foods dogs should not eat:
- Grapes or Raisins - Can cause kidney failure in dogs
- Onions - Destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia
- Chocolate - Can cause seizures, coma, and/or death. Baker's chocolate is especially dangerous. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous and should be avoided.
- Coffee, Coffee grounds, tea and tea bags - Anything containing caffeine can cause many of the same symptoms as chocolate.
- Macadamia Nuts - Can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis.
- Animal fat and friend foods - I know we enjoy giving our dogs some french fries but excessive fat can cause pancreatic.
- Bones - Can splinter and damage a dog's internal organs (only give COOKED bones)
- Tomatoes - (never heard this one before but I don't think I ever had a dog like tomatoes) can cause tremors and heart arrhythmia.
- Avocados - Is entirely toxic. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen, and heart.
- Nutmeg - Can cause tremors, seizures, and death.
- Apples, Cherries, Peaches, and similar fruits - Anything with a pit or seed. Just like with humans, the seeds are poisonous. Unlike humans, dogs do not know to stop eating when they get to the seed or pit.
- Raw eggs - Also just with humans, eggs can cause salmonella poisoning in dogs. Food poisoning isn't as likely with dogs but it's still possible.
- Salt - Excessive salt intake can cause kidney problems.